Friday, 20 July 2012

Chocolate on prescription?

© Rebecca Teal

Right then…first chemo session (I’m having FEC-T, four sessions of FEC then four sessions of T, but you’d worked that last bit out, hadn’t you?) was ok. It was a long day…we arrived at 8.30am and left at 3.30pm but were told this won't be the norm.

 
Here I am, prepped and waiting to be attached.

The first two drugs, Epirubicin (it’s red and makes your wee pink for two or three days…I like pink but usually go for it in a nail colour or pink sapphire way) and 5 Fluorouacil (5FU) are injected slowly into the cannula by a nurse and takes about an hour and a half. It’s a great time to ask all sorts of questions. Actually, that pink wee thing applies to all body fluids so there’s a chance my contact lenses may turn pink…bring it on!

It was during this that I was told I mustn’t have Take Aways as the risk of infection is too high. I was aware that chemo will supress bone marrow so my white cell count is low thus my immunity is low but I hadn’t realised just HOW LOW. Apparently, week two of the three week cycle is when it’s at its lowest. To help boost it, on Day 5 a nurse will come to my house and give me an injection.
On days 6 – 9 Mr T will give me the injection.

I was also told I absolutely, no messing, no resisting MUST HAVE a bar of chocolate a day to increase my sugar intake. So if Green & Black would like to sponsor me I’m happy to endorse their vegan chocolate.

The next drug, Cyclophosphamide, is in a bag and fed through a tube to my cannula. It hangs on a thing with wheels so I can wheel it to the loo with me. Ah, but I need the drugs in my right hand as my cancer is in my left breast…and of course, the loo paper is on the right hand side of the loo. Luckily, I’m pretty flexible :o)

We passed some time after prepping playing chess but abandoned the game to talk to my nurse. We may carry on from this position at the next session I’m playing as white.

Other bummer related news:
(I promise I won’t only blog about cancer, but at the moment it’s a bit all full on)

I knew I had Stage2, Grade2, ER+ cancer but now know it’s also HER2+. You can google but sod that! It means the cancer is more aggressive than I thought and I will need a further 18 sessions for the drug Herceptin (that’s about a year!). The first four sessions will be at the hospital then we’re hoping the rest can be administered by a nurse at home.

Yet again, I’m completely in awe of the NHS. The treatment, care and consideration I’m receiving are what’s making me cry the most…but crying a good way. Also, your messages are fantastic and make me do that crying-in-a-good-way-thing, too…so thank you to all of you and please don’t stop…and Messrs Green & Black, if you really want to make me cry… xx




3 comments:

  1. You know I've just been waiting for an excuse to buy you that G&B chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - never, ever, resist blogging about your cancer. Those of us who see you as more than 'just' a really really hot MILF will not mind one tiny bit if some of your blogs are not as upbeat as others. To say that you are an inspiration is rather an understatement :)

    OK, enough of all that or you'll have to get a bigger wig, lol.

    Good to hear that the NHS is treating you well - I do think that they excell when they are involved in clever, serious, complicated stuff. Perhaps their often bad press is when they re doing the more routine things. But, hey, what do I know ??

    Be good, Becca,

    Hugs, as always.

    AnonyMouseLurker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, you can blog all you like about where you are at and how it is going. There are lots of us who see you as far more than a really hot woman and we want to know how you are doing OK.
    Hope the treatment is progressing ok.
    Miss your energy, fun and humour so you had beter get yourself well soonest.
    Very best regards

    Nick (sybar)

    ReplyDelete